Sunday, February 7, 2010

Mystics & Mysticism

Last Friday I was wiping down the Altar at St. Mels, before I vaacumed. A woman praying the Rosary watched me and came over to tell me something wonderful.
She said that in her Theology class, the Altar came to represent the Body of Christ.
I am honored to perform this task of love for my Jesus.

Later that day, Fr. Tom stopped by our home and I related the above. He says it is not quite so, but that the Altar of the Mass becomes like the Crucifix upon which our Savior died. I told him I figured that anywhere Jesus is or was, would be sanctified.
To that he replied along the lines of "right on"!

But the most startling news came when Fr. Tom said that by definition all Catholics are mystics. Catholics believe that the bread and wine of Holy Communion are the Precious Body and Blood of Jesus. We believe in what we don't see. That is incredible!! That is mysticism. I made bold the definition below.

mys·ti·cism (mĭs'tĭ-sĭz'əm)
n. Immediate consciousness of the transcendent or ultimate reality or God.
The experience of such communion as described by mystics.

A belief in the existence of realities beyond perceptual or intellectual apprehension that are central to being and directly accessible by subjective experience.
3.


The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Hough

No comments:

Post a Comment